What is the CityDoctors Scholarship?
CityDoctors, the collaborative program between St. George's University and its affiliated hospitals, is a scholarship program designed to attract and educate the best and brightest students to become doctors committed to serving in urban hospitals. The demand for primary care physicians, especially in urban areas, is expected to increase as the current physician workforce ages and retires. The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) predicts a shortage of 46,000-90,000 physicians by 2025*.
St. George's University is committed to helping alleviate this shortage by awarding the CityDoctors scholarship and providing opportunities for students to complete clinical training and in some cases launching their post residency careers in an urban environment.
Scholarships Available and Eligibility Requirements
Each CityDoctor scholarship we offer is unique to the hospital or hospital organization we have partnered with. But all of our scholarships benefit hospitals in need of primary care doctors. Because each scholarship is unique, each has it's own terms and conditions and application process. Please be sure to read each scholarship description carefully.
*Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), The Complexities of Physician Supply and Demand from 2013 to 2025
Learn More About Our Hospitals
- Cooperative effort between NYC Health + Hospitals and St. George's University.
- Inaugural CityDoctors scholarship
- Must be a resident of NYC or have an affiliation with a NYC Health + Hospitals’ public hospital or health center.
- Requires a commitment to work in one of the 11 public hospitals under NYC Health + Hospitals following graduation.
- Available for January entering students
- Full and partial scholarships offered
- 5-20 scholarships awarded each year
- Cooperative effort between HackensackUMC and St. George's University.
- Must be a resident of Bergen County or have an affiliation with HUMC
- Available for January entering students only
- Two full scholarships available per year
- No postgraduate commitment required